We are proud to announce that the RainMachine iOS mobile app v4.5.102 is available for immediate download for all RainMacine iOS (iPhone and iPad) users. Most notable fixes and improvements* for the spring 2018 release are as follows:
- Minimum watering time per zone: Now you will be able to set a minimum watering time per individual zones.
- New zone vegetation types: Choose between Warm Season Grass and Cold Season Grass.
- Program Start Date and End Date: You can choose the start date and end date for your programs and this will repeat yearly by default. Imagine watering programs for each season.
- Program Use Adaptive Frequency: Allow RainMachine to manage irrigation by skipping non-optimal watering cycles, taking in consideration your soil moisture values.
- Weather-Adjusted Zone Duration: Choose to modify the program zone duration based on weather, or choose to have fixed watering times and ignore weather data available for program zones.
- Change program zones order: You will be able to order the program zones the way you want.
- Rain Sensor: Added last time the rain sensor detected rain event message.
- RainMachine Firmware Auto-Update: You can choose to let the RainMachine auto-update its firmware when a new one will be available.
- Fix crash when trying to save a program.
We are pleased to announce the 4.0.926 firmware release.
This release contains enhancements and bug fixes. This release is available for RainMachine HD-12 and HD-16 made after 2015 and all Mini-8 devices.
Here are a couple of new features introduced on 4.0.926:
Web and Local UI improvements (15).
Many Web app and Local UI improvements, details available here.
Program Start Date and End Date
Choose the start date and end date for your programs and this will repeat yearly by default.
Imagine having separate watering programs for each season.
Program Use Adaptive Frequency
Allow RainMachine to manage irrigation by skipping nonoptimal watering cycles.
This feature promotes deeper root growth by skipping watering if the calculated daily amount is below a certain threshold.
Change program zones order
You can order the program zones sequence the way you want.
Drag & Drop to change their order under Program properties screen.
Minimum watering time per zone
Set a minimum watering time per individual zones, not per RainMachine device.
New zone vegetation types
Choose between warm season grass and cold season grass.
Open the Zone Advanced Settings and look for Vegetation Type option.
Adding Support for multiple weather stations for WUnderground weather service (Web).
No longer restricted to using just one station.
Open Weather Map weather service (Web)
With this release, you will be able to use OWM weather service.
RainMachine Firmware Auto-Update
Allow RainMachine to auto-update its firmware when a new one will be available.
This option is set "ON" by default but can be easily turned "OFF" from the RainMachine device system settings.
Fix for Wi-Fi WPA2 "KRACK" vulnerability
All our RainMachine devices have been patched against Wi-Fi WPA2 "KRACK" vulnerability.
To find out more about this Wi-Fi WPA2 security issue follow this link.
During the next several days we will be performing a scheduled infrastructure upgrade.
This upgrade should be transparent to the end users and it will allow us to support significantly more RainMachines as well as decrease latency when accessing your sprinkler remotely. Should you experience problems when trying to remotely access the RainMachine, please let us know by calling or submitting a support trouble request.
There is no action required on your side. This scheduled infrastructure update and testing should end on 12/15/2017.
Rainmachine Support Team.
- Simplified Program settings screen.
- Removed the upper right "EDIT" button from Zones/Programs screen. To edit a zone or a program simply tap on its name.
- Choose to Deactivate/Activate a program when you tap on its name.
- Suggested program zone times are detailed when the program frequency is "Selected Days"
- Added a pulse frame animation when a zone/program is currently running.
- Change the Zone/Program Start button position to the left or right from the iOS phone/tablet settings - RainMachine iOS app or from "Settings" - "System Settings" - "Advanced Settings" - "Interface Settings" - RainMachine Android app.
- Added new push notifications options: "Short detect on valve connector" and "Reboot during watering event" enabled by default.
- The Rain Sensor testing mode in sensor screen; separate settings entry for rain sensor.
- Increased the size of the bottom screen notification bar.
- Increased the size of touch area in program and zones screen.
- Show info about remote or local access for the RainMachines listed on Devices list.
- “Touch program to run” option for RainMachine Mini-8 and choose the desired program to run when "P" is showing on the digit display.
- Fix time scheduled and time watered duration fields.
- Speed improvements and many bug fixes.
Over the course of a decade, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) WaterSense program has helped transform water efficiency from a drop in the bucket to more than 2.1 trillion gallons of water saved through 2016. That is more than the amount of water used by all U.S. households for 75 days!
Source epa.gov, for more information, read https://www.epa.gov/watersense/watersense-current-summer-2017.
We are proud to contribute to EPA's WaterSense goals, by being an important participant in EPA's WaterSense program. Our RainMachines are EPA certified and provide an average of 40%-60% savings based on location. For information on our RainMachine water savings calculator, please visit www.rainmachine.com and scroll towards the bottom of the page. Also, by using your RainMachine app you can check real-time statistics on your water usage and water savings.
We are honored to be part of this effort and we are attaching recognition letter received from the EPA WaterSense:
If there is an API there is a way. If there is local networking connection there must be a way. Unlike all the others controllers, the Rainmachine makes itself discoverable to local web browsers or apps without ever needing a cloud connection. Because RainMachine is running on a powerful platform, using open standards such as Bonjour the RainMachine makes itself discoverable, not only by iPhone or Android Apps but also by web browsers such as Safari or Mozilla.
"RainMachine it has Wi-Fi with an embedded Web server Advertised with Bonjour. Compared to trying to program your garden sprinklers with a 2 digit LCD display and the Plus/Minus buttons, this is such a glorious experience to see it all on my big IMAC screen at the same time." said Apple's Stuart Cheshire at Apple's WWDC 2017, Advances in Networking session, part 2.
Among many new features and bug fixes, one of the most important features of this release is speed improvement (up to 4x faster) when loading the dashboard statistics remotely or locally.
For those that have not accessed the App since last season: we introduced Zone pictures functionality for all RainMachine users (including RainMachine Touch (2013) 1st Gen users!) where you can take pictures from your camera as well as photos album. This is the 1st step we are talking into a more immersive gardening experience (more to come soon).
Also, hidden in the Preference screen you will find Bonjour functionality*. This is a unique feature other irrigation controllers can't host due to their cloud dependent architecture. We believe that if you own the device, you should be able to discover from any device or any browser. More Bonjour surprises to be released soon but for now, you can just point your Safari browser.
1. Go to Preferences → Advanced and make sure that both Bonjour options are turned on.
2. Launch a new window (⌘N).
3. Check the “View” menu to make sure “Show Favorites Bar” is turned on (⇧⌘B).
4. In the Favorites Bar at the top of the new window, click the “Bonjour ⌄” button.
5. Select the desired device from the list that appears.
Note: * Bonjour functionality is available for 2nd gen RainMachine devices.
- Show remote devices as offline instead of hiding them from the Devices screen.
- Remove Weather data switch for RainMachine Touch (2013) 1st generation devices.
- Bonjour service option in advanced system settings.
- Each graph on dashboard now has a loading spinner.
- Show new program and zone layouts for first generation sprinklers.
- Faster UI loading.
- Fix program total watering time calculation.
- Removed unused weather parsers.
- Watering history export: use “;” as separator.
- Freezing when entering long wifi passwords.
- Show the correct weather icons in the dashboard.
- Removed limit for max precipitation.
- Do not allow selecting another tab during Mini-8 setup.
- Stability fixes.
- Other fixes and UI enhancements.
- Show remote devices as offline instead of hiding them from the Devices screen.
- Hide edit actions for zone photos for Demo RainMachine.
- Remove Weather data switch for RainMachine first generation.
- Fix watering history bugs happening on some particular devices.
- Fix launch bug happening on some particular devices.
- Fix photo saving of zones.
- Fix for showing monthly and yearly dashboard data.
- Show the correct weather icons in the dashboard.
- Show the correct water saved amount in the dashboard.
- Use ";" as separator for watering history CSV when the device uses the metric system.
- Improve setup behaviour on some devices that have the Auto-network switch hidden.
- Internal improvements.
The RainMachine Mini-8 2nd gen is also available at Amazon.com, NewEgg as well as our web store with a retail price of ranging from $159. The RainMachine Mini-8 is EPA Watersense certified. Some Water Agencies might provide rebates up to the full cost of the unit. Check with your local water agency for participation in EPA's WaterSense program.
RainMachine mobile push notifications are silent short messages reminders of activities or events that your RainMachine device reports, even when you're not actively using the RainMachine mobile application.
Note: If you prefer sound or vibrations you can change the notifications settings under your mobile device settings.
First step - You must be sure that the mobile operating system allow Notifications from the RainMachine app. To do that open "Settings" on your mobile devices and search for "Notification" option and enable it. Note: Keep in mind that the RainMachine mobile push notifications are not sent during the "Do Not Disturb" interval. Second step - the RainMachine mobile app Push Notifications settings are strongly related to your remote access account. Without it, you can't receive them. Please make sure your RainMachine device has remote access account set and valid. Then open the RainMachine mobile app and go to "Settings" -> "Notifications". In this screen you can enable/disable specific notifications you want or not to receive.
Starting with the new versions of iOS and Android mobile applications, the "Notifications" are enabled by default. This will apply to all your RainMachine devices you may have listed on "Devices" screen and associated to a remote access account. The "New Firmware Update" notification is ON by default.
- On Apple iOS RainMachine mobile push notifications appear on the iPhone screen (when in sleep mode the screen will open for a few seconds), under "Recent" Notification Center messages list swiping down from the top of the screen, or as a banner or alert. This behavior can be changed under iPhone "Settings" - "Notifications". Below an example of how a RainMachine watering activity of a zone is shown under "Recent" Notification Center messages list. Tap on it and the RainMachine application will open.
- On Android devices, the push notifications appear in the top status bar. To view them, simply swipe down from the status bar. Below an example of how a RainMachine watering activity of a zone is shown under Android notifications list. Tap on it and the RainMachine application will open.
Depending of mobile operating system the push notification show:
By default, without any other intervention, all users will be notified when a "New Firmware Update" is available for their RainMachine devices. The available notifications are:
The new Mobile Push Notifications feature available with our latest versions of iOS (v4.3.105) and Android (v.4.1.6) RainMachine mobile apps, will bring silent reminders on your mobile device screen that will keep you up to date with your RainMachine activities as they happen.
We are proud to announce our 2nd gen RainMachine Mini-8. Built on our award winning platform, the RainMachine Mini-8 is a powerful controller that offers the same functionality as the RainMachine Touch HD series without the color screen. The RainMachine Mini-8 is available to purchase on our website will be available nation-wide retail distribution on last week of February 2017.
The RainMachine Mini-8 along with our new iOS, Android clients is 2x to 5x faster than its predecessor. Everything is faster, from screen loading times to responsiveness to any commands. Since last year we also introduced a slew of new functions, for a detailed change log follow this link. Among many new features, the RainMachine Mini-8 is now capable of processing multiple weather sources ensuring increased accuracy and availability. The setup process was streamlined, resulting in a quick installation process that takes less than 5 minutes.
Alongside iOS and Android clients, the RainMachine Mini-8 has a simple and elegant web browser interface that can be accessed locally as well as remotely. It is important to mention that all our RainMachines have been designed to operate locally and remotely, thus eliminating the the need for cloud access when the devices are operated from home.
The RainMachine Mini-8 valve drive has been improved to handle larger peak currents. This helps driving older valve systems with stubborn and rusted solenoids. Hardware assist for Short Circuit and OverCurrent measurements are now implemented in hardware. We added a 2nd layer of hardware watchdog circuity to ensure that valves always start. In case of a over-current situation the RainMachine Mini-8 will retry 3 more times, this feature is especially helpful when valves get stuck as they often do: By implementing the retry mechanism, the debris is often times dislodged by automatic retries, eliminating need for maintenance. Operating temperature has also been improved, allowing the RainMachine Mini-8 to withstand high temperatures (up to 140F).
The RainMachine Mini-8 is now available for purchase for $159 at our web store. Will also be available for purchase at Home Depot, Lowe's and Amazon (with Amazon Prime) after February 15, 2017.
This version is available for all RainMachine devices (except for the 1st generation RainMachines Touch sold in between 2013-2014) and includes all features available on the v4.0.844 firmware update released on 12/20/2016 described here on our blog as "2017 Features" articles and other improvements and fixes.
To learn more about this new firmware update v4.0.851 release, follow this link
The RainMachine has the ability to use seasonal weather trends instead of live weather data if weather data is off, unreachable, or you prefer to follow seasonal trends over the weather service's predictions. The "Seasonal Data" is specific to the location you set, and has recorded conditions on a daily basis. The seasonal trends are based on 10 years of daily recorded weather data for your location, making it a good alternative to "Live Weather".
Switching between the two option is easy. Simply go to your zone’s settings and enable/disable either option. Leaving both on is the "default" and the RainMachine will always use Live Weather data if it is enabled before the seasonal data. In case of an internet outage, the RainMachine will automatically switch over "Seasonal Data".
Redesigned "Watering History" day logs for faster reading, at a glance, including the day name and full date, weather forecast icon, maximum and minimum temperatures, Rain and EvapoTranspiration amount, inline with "Total Scheduled" and "Total Watered" times for the entire day.
Each program log shows:
The RainMachine will now take the attributes from zone properties (sun exposure, soil type, sprinkler head type, etc), and use them to calculate a Suggested Watering Time. This means that if you are unsure of how long you should set to water your plants for, you can simply choose “Suggested” and immediately have an accurate estimation set for you.
Note: This estimate is calculated for an average summer day, the RainMachine will then adjust this value depending on weather.
Cycle and Soak has been updated too with our new automatic setting, which decides the number of cycles for your program based on a complex balancing algorithm. Basically, the RainMachine automatically sets the “cycle” times to be equivalent to the “soak” times so the RainMachine is never idle while soaking.
To learn more check out our knowledgebase article about cycle and soak.
to be continued...